Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

When I first saw this recipe in one of my high tea books I really thought it was going to much much harder than it actually was. It was also a lot quicker than I expected. And to top all of that, they were absolutely delectably delicious!!

What you need...
  • 4 sheets of sweet shortcrust pastry (next time I'm going to try my hand at making this myself)
Lemon Curd
Lemon Curd
  • 1/2 a cup caster sugar
  • 1/4 of a cup of cornflour
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest. I found this to equal the zest of a whole lemon.
  • 80ml of lemon juice. which equaled the juice of a large lemon.
  • 3/4 of a cup of water
  • 30g unsalted butter
  • 2 egg yolks
Meringue
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3/4 of a cup of caster sugar
How you do it...
Meringue
  • pre-heat you oven to 180 degrees and grease your muffin tray
  • using a 7cm cookie cutter or like I did a glass cut out your first 12 rounds from the pastry sheets. press the rounds into the tin, prick the bases with a fork and bake for 15 mins, set aside to cool.
  • Combine the sugar, cornflour, zest, lemon juice and water together in a saucepan over a medium heat and bringing it to the boil and letting it thicken.  Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. gradually mix in the egg yolks.  Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the glossy lemon curd into each pastry case.
  • pop your 3 egg whites into your mixmaster or in a bowl and use a hand beater and beat until you have firm white peaks, slowly add in the caster sugar, letting what you have poured in dissolve before adding more.  Keep beating till the mixture is thick and glossy. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the meringue over each pie. Bake for 5 mins until lightly golden.
Almost ready to bake

The recipe I used says you should get 24 pies out of the mixtures, my servings were a little more generous so I only got 16 pies out of the lemon curd, but never mind the bigger mini pies the better hey!  I'm looking forward to making these again, if for no other reason than to eat the lemon curd. It had a perfect balance of tangy and sweet, and was so smooth. All in all, I think this one was a great success  

Giving these Lemon Meringues 4 cupcakes out of 5!





Happy Baking
Betti x





1 comment :

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS